Friday, January 15, 2010

Date Night!

Well, tonight was my date night with my hubby. We're cheap and broke, so we date in. This year I am trying something new...dates with themes. Well, anyways, that's not the important part, but when I had planned out our themes, I had certain food in mind to match the theme of the date. This morning it hit me...tonight was gourmet burgers, fries, coleslaw, and something really yummy for dessert, like Mississippi mud cake. There was no way I could eat all that, so I had to think fast. I made delicious turkey burgers on multi grained flat bread with avacado, tomato, lettuce, and a thin slice of cheese. On his, I added ham and more cheese :). We had baby potatoes oven roasted in olive oil and onion salt with lots of steamed broccoli and carrots. It was great! For dessert I made this flax seed pudding that turned out very tasty.

So here is the thing that is nuts; I couldn't finish my turkey burger. I COULDN'T! I was so stuffed and had half left. Well, I did the stupid thing and forced myself to take a few more bites because it tasted so good. Still didn't finish it though. It was too much to eat, and I made my tummy hurt. I didn't finish my potatoes or my veggies. There is still a lot of food left on my plate. So what is so crazy is that last week I maybe would have had 1 1/2 burgers, or even possibly 2. YIKES!

My hubby is so good at going along with all the strange things I am currently making because I know he would have loved having Mississippi mud cake. It's his favorite. But no complaining: he thought it all tasted great. Here is the recipe for the dessert we had tonight.

Flax Pudding

6 TBS flax seeds
2 cups soy milk, or skim milk (I used soy)
1 Banana, peeled and mashed
1 TBS pure honey
juice of one orange
1 apple peeled and diced, (I didn't put the apple in)

Grind your flax seed in a food mill or coffee grinder. Bring milk to a boil, add ground flax to milk and boil for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool in a glass bowl. The mixture will get thick, and should have a consistency similar to pudding. Add remaining ingredients. Whisk mixture to make it fluffy. Chill. When ready to serve, top with diced kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, sliced banana, blueberries, or whatever else you'd like. I really liked the flavor of the pudding with the kiwis and raspberries.

So taste wise, this was fantastic. I would have had seconds if I wasn't so full. My hubby had seconds. But to warn you, the pudding mixture looked a little more like slime, so I was a little nervous about texture issues in my mouth. But once you are eating it, it is like pudding texture. Strange but true. This is from Tosca Reno's cookbook. Hope some of you enjoy it. I will be having it again for sure.

Hope everyone has had a FANTABULOUS week!

3 comments:

Karilynn said...

I'm so trying this! I absolutely agree that turkey burgers are VERY filling! Love it! I LOVE that you are so good at this whole "dive into a new lifestyle" thing. I WISH I had all the knowledge about eating clean that you have!! GO AMANDA!!

Amber said...

Wow, Amanda you need to be a chef. Hey you could open your own restaurant lol j/k. Well possible in the future. You are great. You know what I have never tasted a turkey burger before I am going to have to try it. I know my husband will not eat what I am eating or my kids. I am so glad your family is supporting you in that way. My husband it supporting me but forgets. He is a huge junk eater and he is like Collin can be worse very oppostitional. So has you can imagine difficult to talk him into many things. I am learning to be very hard headed with him. Anyway sorry to go on with me. Keep up the amazing strength that you have.

... said...

Keep up the great work Amanda!