Thursday, January 14, 2010

Soup anyone?

I'm in heaven with dinner tonight! It was great and all 9 of us in the house agree it was good, even the baby who had fourths. So what did I make... It was a wonderful soup all fresh veggies and pretty much fat free....I found it on another website, and tweaked it. Here's the recipe:

Creamed Zucchini Spinach Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, roughly chopped
big pinch of sea salt
2 1/2 cups potatoes (2 medium) cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 1/2 cups zucchini (2 medium), chopped
4 cups vegetable stock (if you wanted I'm sure it would be fine with chicken stock)
4 cups fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, add the garlic and onions and saute for a few minutes along with pinch of salt - just until they soften up a bit. Stir in the potatoes and zucchini. Add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are cooked soft. Add spinach and stir a few seconds, it will wilt. Now stir in the cilantro. Puree with a hand blender until smooth ( you may be able to put in blender, didn't try that). Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Add more salt if needed. Enjoy. This is very creamy because of the potato. I added a tsp of sour cream to my kids' bowl for them to stir in and make it creamy. I added a tsp of yogurt cheese, that I made, to mine (this is made from plain fat free yogurt, and has the consistency of a soft cream cheese, minus the fat).

I served it with fresh hot from the oven homemade whole wheat bread (geepers made 4 loaves and have 2 left), and a side dish of spaghetti squash. Mmmmmmm...

So I was thinking about it today and wondering if anyone would have interest if I took the time to post a recipe of the week or of the day? Maybe it would be for my enjoyment more than yours, let me know what you think.

I've had a little bit of a rough day, just lacking a little drive for some reason, not sure why. I sure am hoping that tomorrow picks back up to how I was doing, or better. I didn't give into eating anything, just kind of felt blah. I did make some yummy cookies that work with clean eating, thanks Karilynn for the recipe. :) That gave me a little pick me up this afternoon, I only wanted the dough really. I took the time today to catch up on every one's blogs, it was sure fun to read them. I really enjoy hearing how everyone is doing.
Tomorrow is another day, lets hope its a great one!


2 comments:

Karilynn said...

YES YES YES!!! WE love RECIPES!!! ;o) Glad you liked the dough! ;o)And I am SO making that soup tomorrow.. if not for dinner than at least for me!

Kristie said...

I would LOVE it if you posted some recipes! That would be so helpful.